In light of the current situation, Tea House Theatre Experience due to take place from 3 to 31 December 2020 have been cancelled. For more information please see our Ticketing Arrangements page or contact us at (852) 2200 0022, email@example.com.
The Xiqu Centre’s Tea House Theatre Experience is specially designed to introduce new audiences to Cantonese opera – the local form of Chinese opera or xiqu. The 90-minute performance, presented by our very own Tea House Rising Stars Troupe, showcases a selection of short excerpts demonstrating a range of vocal and music styles. It also includes narration by an expert moderator to help newcomers gain insight into the history of the art form.
To recreate the warm, authentic atmosphere of Hong Kong’s early 20th century tea houses, audiences are served traditional tea and dim sum during the performance – a delicious way to learn about a heritage art form.
However much you know about Cantonese opera, Chinese culture, history or literature, the Tea House Theatre offers a new kind of experience – join us and discover for yourself!
Performances run from Wednesday to Sunday every week.
Please note, as we are currently unable to serve tea and dim sum we are offering a 15% discount on all Tea House Theatre Experience tickets. Audiences joining us in December and January will also receive a special welcome gift.
As a token of thanks to all medical staff and support personnel during their hardship in this difficult time, the Xiqu Centre is now offering various medical personnel-exclusive discounts valid till 30 June 2021. They will be contacted through their organisation and given a promotional code for these discounts, or simply produce a valid staff ID card at our Ticket Office to enjoy the offer. Please refer to Tea House Theatre Experience Medical Discount Offer Terms and Conditions for details.
The seasonally changing programme features songs, instrumental pieces and excerpts from a mix of popular or rarely staged romantic, comic and martial arts works, and includes:
Nanyin (Cantonese Narrative Singing)
Wind and Percussion Music
Music Ensemble Performance
Cantonese Opera Excerpt Performance
New programme runs from July 2020.
|Law Ka-ying||Artistic Curator and Director|
See the full team list here.
Date and time:
Wednesday to Sunday: 7:30pm
Saturday and Sunday: 3:00pm
*Patrons will get a complimentary drink from ‘Daily Tea Time by Don’t Yell at Me’ after the show
Tea House Theatre, Xiqu Centre
Performed and narrated in Cantonese with Chinese and English surtitles
- 15% off Standard tickets: HK$312 (Balcony) / HK$270 (Stalls)
- 15% off Concession tickets: HK$156 (Balcony) / HK$135 (Stalls)
(senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, CSSA recipients, and full-time students)
- 15% off Family package: HK$612 (2 standard tickets + 2 concession tickets, Stalls seating)
- In line with the latest government regulations and in the interests of community health, the seating capacity is currently operating at reduced levels which may affect the admission and seating arrangement. Please check back for event announcements and updates.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Above discount offers are not valid in conjunction with other promotional offers.
- All discount offers are available on a first come, first served basis according to availability.
- Suitable for ages 6 and above.
- Tea House Theatre Experience from 16 July to 30 August 2020 have been cancelled. Please click here for ticketing arrangements. For enquiries, please call (852)2200 0022 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(852) 2200 0022, email@example.com
Seats for wheelchair users can be booked through our online ticketing system. If there are more than two people requiring adjacent seats, please contact us at (852) 2200 0022 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help arrange your booking.
Student matinees and programmes for tour groups with narration in English or Mandarin are also available on request.
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
Tickets are usually available one month in advance and occasionally extra programmes may be added to the current schedule. Check back regularly for updates.