© Ringo Chan｜Photo provided by CCDC
Chinese Calligraphy: King-hung Cheung with permission from designer Vera Chan
A timeless contemporary dance epic inspired by Chinese literature
“Kinetic essay in spiritual suffering…” ──The Times (UK)
Internationally renowned choreographer Helen Lai teams up with Oscar winners Tan Dun and Tim Yip to deliver an awe-inspiring blend of spectacle and ritual.
Since its 1991 premiere, the work has toured internationally to critical acclaim, and now returns to Hong Kong in this 30th-anniversary production co-presented by Freespace and Hong Kong Dance Company.
Inspired by the epic poems of 3rd century BCE writer Qu Yuan, Nine Songs honours ancient legends in contemporary form, invoking the spirits of sky, rivers, mountains, the dead, and the unquenchable hopes of the living.
Nine Songs is part of “HKDC in Residence 2021”.
HKDC in Residence is part of West Kowloon’s commitment to long-term partnerships with local and international arts organisations. In this three-year residency, Freespace joins hands with HKDC in bringing a diverse range of dance experiences to audiences of all ages. Nine Songs is part of HKDC in Residence.
Choreographer: Helen Lai
Composer: Tan Dun
Set and Costume Designer: Tim Yip
Lighting Designer: Leo Cheung*
* By kind permission of the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
Date and Time:
26–27^ November 2021 (Friday–Saturday) 7:45pm
28 November 2021 (Sunday) 3:00pm
^Tickets for the 27 November 2021 (Saturday) performance will be on sale later
Approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes without intermission
Grand Theatre, Xiqu Centre
Performances on 26–27 November 2021 (Friday–Saturday): $550, $420, $300, $180
Performance on 28 November 2021 (Sunday): $450, $320, $220, $160
Half price for senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, wheelchair users and a companion, Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) recipients and full-time students. Ticket holders must present proof of eligibility on admission. Concessions are available on a first come, first served basis.
- In line with the latest government regulations and in the interests of community health, the seating capacity is currently operating at reduced levels which may affect the admission and seating arrangement. Please check back for event announcements and updates.
- Children under the age of 6 will not be admitted.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please provide contact information when purchasing tickets.
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue.
- Ticketholders are advised to arrive at venues in good time.
- Special seating arrangement and capacity control have been implemented. Please follow the instructions of Venue Operations staff.
- If you have travelled outside Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(852) 2200 0022, email@example.com
Ms Tsang (852) 3103 1889, firstname.lastname@example.org
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
General booking starts 24 September 2021 (Friday) at 10:00am.
Friday, 26 November 2021
7:45PMGrand Theatre, Xiqu Centre
Sunday, 28 November 2021
3:00PMGrand Theatre, Xiqu Centre
13.11.2021 to 20.11.2021, The Box, Freespace