Photo: Henry Wong, Design: Alpha Li
In light of the current situation, HKDC in Residence 2020: VR Video due to take place from 8 to 13 December 2020 (Tuesday–Sunday) has been cancelled. For more information please see our Ticketing Arrangements page or contact us at (852) 2200 0022, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Moving between the real and the imaginary, Hong Kong Dance Company’s 15-minute virtual reality video Convergence – A Journey of Chinese Dance and Martial Arts is an other-wordly record of a three-year exploration into the movements, gestures and practices of the two art forms. Presented alongside HKDC’s new dance production Convergence it creates a vibrant multi-perspective, immersive experience that integrates actual physical movements with 360° panoramic VR effects and motion capture technology, and offers viewers an unusual up-close glimpse into the world of traditional martial arts and dance. Please note that audiences need to wear VR headsets to view the video.
About the Study
Designed as a platform for in-depth discussion and exploration on interdisciplinary collaborations, HKDC’s “Research study on Chinese martial arts and Chinese dance” explores new dance forms and new directions for traditional Chinese dance training. The research team includes HKDC artistic director Yang Yuntao, as well as dancers, kung fu masters, academic researchers and experts in the field.
HKDC in Residence 2020: VR Video is presented as part of Cypher – an encounter with dance and movement live and online at Freespace this autumn – and as part of the HKDC in Residence programme (2020–2022).
Concept / Choreographer / Dancer: Yang Yuntao
Dancers / Co-choreographers: Huang Lei, Ho Ho-fei, Hou Xuchen, Ong Tze-shen, Pan Zhenghuan, Chou Jo-yun, Ng Ka-ling
VR Director: Tsang Yin-wing
Music: Paul Yip
Date and Time:
8-10 December 2020 (Tuesday–Thursday) 5:00pm–9:30pm
11 December 2020 (Friday) 5:00pm–10:30pm
12–13 December 2020 (Saturday–Sunday) 2:00pm–10:30pm
Sessions run every 30 minutes. (Video length is approximately 15 minutes.)
The Studio, Freespace, Art Park, West Kowloon Cultural District (Getting to Freespace)
20% discount for senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, wheelchair users and a companion, Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) recipients and full-time students. Ticket holders must present proof of eligibility on admission.
Group Booking Discounts:
10% discount for purchases of 10–19 standard tickets (any session, single transaction)
20% discount for purchases of 20–40 standard tickets (any session, single transaction)
Friends of Hong Kong Dance Company members can enjoy discounts by providing their membership number / promotion code online, by phone or in person at the Xiqu Centre or Freespace ticket office and other outlets.
Friends of Hong Kong Dance Company Prestige Member (20% off)
Friends of Hong Kong Dance Company Classic Member (10% off)
Staff of Hong Kong Dance Company (20% off)
The following member discounts apply to standard tickets bought in person at the Xiqu Centre or Freespace ticket office and other outlets only, and upon presentation of valid membership/staff cards:
Membership Visa card holder of Hong Kong Professional and Senior Executive Association (20% off)
Member or Family Member of Hong Kong Professional Teachers’ Union (20% off)
Members of Hong Kong Dance Alliance (20% off)
Members of Hong Kong Fringe Club (20% off)
Members of CCDC Dance Inspirations (10% off)
Chung Ying Theatre Company Energy Fun Club plus (10% off)
Friends of Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra (10% off)
Friends of Hong Kong Ballet (10% off)
Zuni's Friends (10% off)
Members of Hong Kong Repertory Theatre Pals (10% off)
Bravo Members of Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra (10% off)
Members of the HK Federation of Trade Unions (10% off)
Members of VTC Staff Recreation Club (10% off)
Members of Hong Kong Arts Administrators Association (10% off)
Members and Staff of Chinese YMCA of HK (10% off)
Members of HKIFF Cine Fan Classic Privilege, Patron Privilege and Student Privilege Members (10% off)
Members of Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (10% off)
Members of Y-Space (10% off)
- In line with the latest government regulations and in the interests of community health, the seating capacity is currently operating at reduced levels which may affect the admission and seating arrangement. Please check back for event announcements and updates.
- Participants need to wear a VR headset to watch the video. Disposable headset covers will be provided for each user. Headsets will be sterilised between each use.
- Audience members are strongly advised to arrive on time. Latecomers will not be admitted.
- Children under the age of 6 will not be admitted.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please provide contact information when purchasing tickets.
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue.
- Temperature checks will be carried out before admission. Visitors showing a temperature of 37.5°C or above will not be able to participate.
- Special seating arrangements are being implemented. Please follow the instructions of our staff.
- If you have travelled outside of Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(852) 2200 0022, email@example.com
(852) 3103 1819, firstname.lastname@example.org (Monday–Friday, 10:00am–6:00pm)
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
Co-presented by Freespace