One of China’s most daring voices in contemporary dance delivers the Hong Kong premiere of her latest work
Freespace presents the Hong Kong premiere of Transition, Gu Jiani’s latest epic set, sound, light and movement creation.
Gu is known for explosive choreography that borders on dangerous and demands fearless trust and absolute precision between dancers.
In Transition, she takes us on a thought-provoking non-narrative journey through themes of growth, change, time, transformation and the objects we manufacture and thoughtlessly discard.
Without her own studio, Gu rehearsed much of this guerrilla-style in parks and other public spaces throughout Beijing.
Watch the trailer of Transition here.
Production: Untitled Group
Concept Design and Choreography: Gu Jiani
Dancers: Wang Xuanqi, Ming Da, Zhao Kai, Gu Jiani
Lighting Design and Technical Director: Ray
Stage Design: Gu Jiani
Deputy Stage Design: Chen Liangru
Sound Design: Gan Jian
Sound Operator: Tian Dongyi
Stage Manager: Zhou Yajing
Costume Design: Zhang Sisi
Video Documenting: Hua Dong
Video Editor: Gu Jiani
Graphic Design: Fan Cong, Wang Xuanxi
Stage Production: Wang Boming
Executive Producer: Gu Jiani
1–2 October 2021 (Friday–Saturday)
Approximately 1 hour without intermission
The Box, Freespace,
Art Park, West Kowloon Cultural District (Getting to Freespace)
- Half price for senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, CSSA recipients, full-time students. Ticket holders must present proof of eligibility on admission.
- If you are a wheelchair user or a person with a disability you are entitled to buy one ticket at a concessionary price and one additional ticket at the same price for a companion. If there are more than two persons in your party, all other tickets will be at standard price unless the party members qualify for a concession in their own right.
Group Booking Discounts:
5% discount for 5 to 9 standard tickets
10% discount for 10 to 19 standard tickets
20% discount for 20 or more standard tickets (single transaction)
The above discount offers are not valid in conjunction with other promotion offers
- In line with the latest government regulations and in the interests of community health, the seating capacity is currently operating at reduced levels which may affect the admission and seating arrangement. Please check back for event announcements and updates.
- Audience are strongly advised to arrive on time. Latecomers may not be admitted.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please provide contact information when purchasing tickets.
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue.
- Temperature checks will be carried out before admission. Visitors showing a temperature of 37.5°C or above will not be able to participate.
- Special seating arrangements are being implemented. Please follow the instructions of our staff.
- If you have travelled outside Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(852) 2200 0022, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Chui (852) 2200 3731, email@example.com
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
Freespace, China Dancers Association “Young Artists Platform of Dance”and Shanghai International Dance Center Theater
About the Artistic Team:
Untitled Group is a working group attempting a series of multimedia explorations through the construction of body, visuality, sound, objects and space. The aim of these explorations is to discover new languages in the relationship between physics and psychology.
Untitled Group is an extension of the “Go & N SPACE body plan”, which was jointly established by Gu Jiani and Li Nan in 2013. It also builds on Gu's work with dance partner Wang Xuanqi in 2016.
The Chinese name of Untitled Group can be broken down into two components: shi kou (ten mouths) and wu (nothingness). In the contrast between these two concepts, a process of extraction, inversion and exchange occurs, allowing for the discovery of many meanings, and at the same time a return to the thing itself. From this process comes the idea that the "organisation" is built from an absence of organisation.
Gu Jiani is a Chinese choreographer whose major works include Exit, Right & Left and Exit. Her works have been performed in many venues in Beijing over a long period, during which she has also received invitations from art festivals all over the world, from northern Europe and the United States to Australia, Taipei and Hong Kong. She has also been involved in various video and multimedia projects.
In 2021, she was invited by Hermès to choreograph for the Shanghai act of its women’s fall-winter runaway show taking place in New York, Paris and Shanghai.
In 2020, Gu was awarded a grant from the Asian Cultural Council (ACC) in New York. She also received awards at the Beijing International Ballet and Choreography Competition in 2011 and 2013.
Gu’s work focuses on space and objects, regenerative energy, phenomena and psychology, material epistemology and multi-dimensional thinking. Gu excels at constructing minimalist visual images in a space, and her conceptual design and physical structures allow her work to show profound philosophy on a human level. In recent years, Gu has probed the intersection between sound, vision, psychology and physics from the perspective of movement research, with a special interest in contemporary society. She has also established a series of unique game-like sports modes, whose core technology is the “push / thrust dual-connection movement”.
General booking starts 22 June 2021 (Tuesday) at 10:00am.
Our package tickets allow you to save on a variety of events, including this one.
20% Discount Package (Purchase 20 or above tickets)20% discount for single-transaction purchases 20 or above tickets
10% Discount Package (Purchase 10-19 tickets)10% discount for single-transaction purchases 10-19 tickets
5% Discount Package (Purchase 5-9 tickets)5% discount for single-transaction purchases 5-9 tickets
Friday, 1 October 2021
8:00PMThe Box, Freespace
Saturday, 2 October 2021
8:00PMThe Box, Freespace
13.11.2021 to 20.11.2021, The Box, Freespace