- Company Wayne McGregor – Autobiography In 'Autobiography', McGregor turns his attention to the body as archive. Inspired by the sequencing of his own genome and the 23 pairs of chromosomes that contain the human DNA, he creates a 23-chapter dance portrait shaped around autobiographical impressions and influences.
- Company Wayne McGregor – Autobiography © Andrej Uspenski
- Company Wayne McGregor – Autobiography ©Andrej Uspenski
- Company Wayne McGregor – Autobiography ©Richard Davies
- Company Wayne McGregor – Autobiography © Richard Davies
“Wayne McGregor turns his life story into a dance in a mesmerising inimitable show based upon his own genetic code.”
── The Guardian
For 25 years, award-winning British choreographer and director Wayne McGregor has created dance works that interrogate life through the experience of the body and reflect his long-standing interest in science and technology. In Autobiography, McGregor turns his attention to the body as archive. Inspired by the sequencing of his own genome and the 23 pairs of chromosomes that contain the human DNA, he creates a 23-chapter dance portrait shaped around autobiographical impressions and influences.
Like the infinite possibilities of individual lives, no two performances are the same. Each unfolds uniquely, with the arrangement of the 23 self-contained choreographic chapters assembled randomly according to a computer-generated algorithm. Performed by 10 dancers to a genre-defying soundscape produced by long-time collaborator, electronic musician Jlin, Autobiography offers a mesmerising reflection on the fractured, multilayered nature of our lives and personal stories.
Autobiography is co-commissioned by Freespace and a number of international venues, as part of an on-going artistic collaboration between West Kowloon and Studio Wayne McGregor.
Since its premiere in 2017, Autobiography has toured internationally to wide acclaim.
D&AD Awards, UK, 2018 – Yellow Pencil for Stage Design (Ben Cullen Williams for Studio Wayne McGregor)
Danza&Danza Magazine Awards, Italy, 2018 – Best Contemporary Performance (Company Wayne McGregor)
The Charles and Joan Gross Family Foundation – Gross Family Prize 2018 (Awarded to Wayne McGregor and Jlin in recognition of an outstanding new collaboration between dance and music)
Concept and Direction: Wayne McGregor
Choreography: Wayne McGregor in collaboration with the dancers
Set Design and Projection: Ben Cullen Williams
Lighting Design: Lucy Carter
Costume Design: Aitor Throup
Dramaturgy: Uzma Hameed
Autobiography Algorithm: Nick Rothwell
Date & Time:
10-11* January 2020 (Friday to Saturday) 8:00pm
12 January 2020 (Sunday) 3:00pm
Approximately 1 hour 20 minutes without intermission
*With meet-the-artist session after performance on 11 January 2020, audience are welcome to join.
The Box, Freespace, Art Park, West Kowloon Cultural District (Getting to Freespace)
Half price for senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, CSSA recipients, full-time students and children aged under 3. Ticket holders must present proof of eligibility on admission.
Group Booking Discounts:
- Online group purchase of standard tickets in the same price for the same performance in one transaction: 5% discount for 5 to 9 tickets, 10% discount for 10 to 19 tickets and 20% discount for 20 or more tickets.
- Over the counter/phone group booking of any performance at any standard ticket price in one transaction: 5% discount for 5 to 9 tickets, 10% discount for 10 to 19 tickets, 20% discount for 20 or more tickets. This discount offer is only available at the Xiqu Centre and Freespace ticket offices and other outlets or by calling our ticketing hotline at (852) 2200 0022.
The above discount offers are not valid in conjunction with other promotion offers.
(852) 2200 0022, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Akama Chin (852) 2200 0814, email@example.com
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force 3 hours before the start of the performance, the performance will be cancelled.
- Audience members are strongly advised to arrive on time. Latecomers will not be admitted.
- Performance with strobe lighting and haze effects.
- If you are a wheelchair user or a person with a disability you are entitled to buy one ticket at a concessionary price and one additional ticket at the same price for a companion. If there are more than two persons in your party, all other tickets will be at standard price unless the party members qualify for a concession in their own right.
Co-commissioned & Presented by:
Studio Wayne McGregor
Sadler’s Wells, London, UK; Les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg; Edinburgh International Festival, UK; Festspielhaus St Pölten, Austria; Carolina Performing Arts at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA; Movimentos Festwochen der Autostadt in Wolfsburg, Germany
Festival Diaghilev. P.S., St Petersburg, Russia; Centro Cultural Vila Flor, Guimarães, Portugal; Seattle Theatre Group, USA (music); Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, London, UK
Jlin in partnership with Unsound
Friday, 10 January 2020
8:00PMThe Box, Freespace
Saturday, 11 January 2020
8:00PMThe Box, Freespace
Sunday, 12 January 2020
3:00PMThe Box, Freespace